Spring break is over and already sorely missed. I finished just one day of homework. Coincidentally, I think this is the best Spring break I’ve had.

Sunday night I took my brother and a friend to see a band I love, This Will Destroy You, play in somebody’s house in Dallas. The house was small and probably pretty expensive to rent, given its proximity to downtown. The band, from San Marcos, played their instrumental post-rock in the large, sparsely-furnished living room, which had brick walls and surprisingly good acoustics. I’d guess that 50 to 70 people were there. We spent most of the show sitting on the floor, and that had the nice side effect of making the bass and drums even more bone-vibrating than they would’ve been otherwise. I bought their newest album on my way out, and I like it enough that I listened to it all day Monday. But you can’t beat the experience of live music.

Tuesday afternoon I drove to Hulen to give blood with my brother, who had never given before. Later in the week, when his blood had been tested and he knew his blood type, I described the Japanese blood type theory of personality (which is analogous to belief in astrology in the U.S.) to him. Just for fun, I described the personalities supposedly associated with each ABO blood type, but I didn’t tell him which blood type was associated with each description — I wanted to see if he could pick out my type and his. The odds were 1 in 4 for each guess, so the odds of him getting at least one right were about 44% (since the odds of him missing both were 3/4 * 3/4 = 9/16, or about 56%) if you assume that blood type and personality have nothing to do with each other. The test was too small to be of any statistical significance, but he missed both guesses. The fact that I was laughing as I read each description may have introduced some bias, but I think I laughed just as loudly for each one.

Tuesday night I watched There’s Something About Mary for the first time and laughed so hard for so long that I had a headache for 45 minutes after it was over. I didn’t know much about it other than that it was a romantic comedy starring Cameron Diaz and Ben Stiller that a lot of people liked, and my low-to-medium expectations were blown out of the water.

Wednesday I went to the dentist. That was the low point of the week, but that’s to be expected.

Thursday I had a fun lunch with a friend and didn’t do much else. I think I opened one of my textbooks and looked at it for a few minutes, but I really wasn’t in the mood.

Friday I spent more time unwinding and went online to buy tickets to see Spamalot in San Antonio for June. The cheap seats were about $33 each, but TicketMaster wanted $33 more in fees for “convenience” (as in, “it’s more convenient for us to sell tickets online than to pay actual humans to do it”) and “delivery” (as in, “we don’t actually deliver anything”). I decided against being ripped off, so I’ll have to find something else to spend $100 on with a friend when June comes around. The funny thing is that I would have paid $50 per ticket if I had been buying them directly from the theater — TicketMaster’s absurd markup cost them a sale.

I played frisbee three times during the week, and my unathletic condition made me wish for room in my schedule for regular exercise. I bike around campus, of course, but never for more than 8 minutes at a time. I slept very well, though, and I fully enjoyed all of my free time. In fact, I’m seriously considering using the three weeks between finals and USAA as a vacation. I could spend it at work, but I have a reading list and some personal projects I’d like to make some progress on, and I haven’t had a vacation for more than a week or so in almost a year. With the real world on the not-too-distant horizon, I suppose I’ll have to get used to that.